2012年4月23日月曜日

Any suggestions for an aftermarket video card fan...?

I have a MSI NX8600GT-T2D512E OC video card ( http://us.msi.com/product/p_spec.asp?mod… ) that has had the stock fan die on it. Has anyone replaced a fan on this model card and if so, what fan kit did you use? Did you need to modify the card at all (i.e. drill new holes or file the existing ones down)?



I've also seen where some forums recommended using a case fan and just using a zip tie to hold the fan over the existing fan. Does this work as a long term solution or will I just be slowly killing my video card? I currently have a case fan sitting loose in the tower blowing on the card and the temps dropped from about 120-130C to about 70C (which as far as I can tell is close to the normal temp for my card under load).



Oh, just wanted to point out, that I'm not doing any overclocking but the card is overclocked from the manufacturer. I am not looking to overclock so really looking for an inexpensive fix, otherwise I'd just upgrade to a higher end card as a replacement.



Thanks,



Jim|||I have used the Zalman VF700 with the 8600GT and it cools a lot better than the tiny stock fansink. It should have no trouble keeping your 8600GT at around 60C or so under load.|||The 8600 was the "low-end" card of the 8 series. If you can find an 8800GTX or XXX for a decent price I'd recommend buying that. Next...check your computer. How dusty is it? Dust is an insulator - a thick layer of dust will make the card soak-up more heat before it starts to radiate off the card.



As for the overclocking issue...I'm sorry, but heat hot enough to cause near 2nd degree burns? There is more at issue than just overclocking, because unless they tripled the assorted clock speeds on the card, there is no (good) reason it should be over 80 or so Deg. C!



Incidentally...you need about a good handspan of distance behind your computer to any obstructions to maximise heat venting so that the warm air isn't being sucked back into the computer...and if your GPU is running that high...your CPU will probably be running hot too...



Good Luck!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿